Handmade In Keswick at Craftfest

Sunday, 18 March 2012

Baby Steps To Success - Writing a First Blog Post

Ever considered writing a blog?

 I did all the considering, the weighing up, the worrying, the picking up and putting right back down again for a long, long, looooooonnnng time. 
I read other blogs, asked others for tips, and wrote lists all in the hope that somehow it would hit me what to do about it. 
I did, of course, realise that the only bit of advice, that several people gave me, did actually hold true. 

Just go for it
"Ramble on" they said, you'll get there eventually.  But NO, I have to produce something interesting and witty and nothing short of award winning!  Then I realised what I had to do next: 

Embrace the fact that your first post will be rubbish
A big step for a perfectionist, but once accepted, pretty easy to come to the conclusion that by starting badly, things will only get better. Good philosophy for life really. 

Obviously, as you're already reading this, you're now obliged to 'follow' me and track that theory. 

I had stumbled across a motivational post by Emilie Wapnick, which encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone and gave practical tips on how to go about doing it.  It s all about doing things, not because you want/need to, but just for training yourself to be brave really.

Throw in the odd picture


Distraction is a powerful tool.

Have a clear idea of your purpose/point
Nobody s making you say it out loud - just be sure you know what it is. It'll help keep the rambling under control (hopefully).


So here we are - you've been reading for a few minutes now and I can't put it off any longer. 

I'll be using this blog to talk about life in the Lake District.

(nice piccie ey?)

There'll be talk about my small business (and my 3 shops - on WowThankYou, Etsy and Folksy)
I'll try to include some other useful stuff like weather reports, and important stuff like gossip and good pubs.
Well there we go, that was it, my first blog post - thank you for managing to hang in there this long - give yourself a pat on the back.  Next post, I'll tell you what I'm really about.   
If you've managed to read this far, you're probably my best friend or my mother, but just in case you're not, I'm gonna ask you to do 3 things.

Take your pick from the following:
  • Go and start writing a blog yourself
  • Subscribe to this blog
  • Share this post on your Facebook page
  • Tweet it
  • Stumble it
  • Tell the person next to you about it
  • Pin it
  • Forget it and never read this blog again
and finally
  • Comment on this post and tell me which of the above you did (laughing is allowed, but don't make me cry)
(If you don't know what some of those things are, then look out for the links and buttons I'll put on just as soon as I've worked out how to do it)





4 comments:

Gerri said...

Hi Lu, Thanks for funny and inspiring post!You did make me laugh, and no im not your mum or best friend but i did win your amazing notebook competition!!Well after avoiding blogging for a long time u finally inspired me to start. So as you instructed, i have followed your blog,joined blog site,and in a moment will share it, tweet it and pin it!(OH, and i did tell the cat next to me about it, but he didnt seem that impressed!)

lu said...

Hi Gerri, Thanks for both following and commenting. Its reassuring to know that I'm not talking to myself.

Ali S said...

Well i read the whole thing through without realising it was written by my sister in law. sorry but i have only just woken up!
Anyway Lu it was goodand interesting so looking foward to the next installment! Luv ali

lu said...

I think that come s under the 'mum or best friend' bracket!