Handmade In Keswick at Craftfest

Thursday, 31 May 2012

Handmade By Edwina


I know Edwina from the marketing we both do on our Folksy shops.  Here's she is telling you about herself in her own words.  Don't forget, I can do clickable photo links now, so if you want to know more, you know what to do ('cepts that one at the top, that one don't work).

Tell us 'bout yourself Edwina.


I have always been creative. I worked in publishing, both editing books and a monthly magazine, but latterly I worked for the NHS organising workshops in order to help improve quality of service. I took early retirement due to ill health in 2005.

My biggest craft influence was my Mum who knitted, crocheted, did dressmaking and embroidery and could also make the most delicious apple pie! So I am sure I developed an interest in crafts from my Mum.

I have a passion for textiles. I love fabric, lace, buttons and I am always exploring new ideas and techniques on how to use them in my craft.

I have been making bags and purses for several years. Each one is different – I rarely do the same bag twice – there may be some similarities, but essentially all my bags and purse are unique!

I love books and so I combined my love of fabric with this by creating covers for notebooks, journals and sketchbooks which I bind to the hardback book.

A5 Journal vintage style

I am passionate about creativity and I am surrounded by a huge stash of buttons, fabric, lace and other supplies. I have numerous craft books which I am constantly adding to and lots of craft tools! Part of my day is spent promoting my Folksy shop on line, whether it be blogging, or uploading photos to Facebook or Flickr, posting on the Folksy Forums or using Pinterest and Craft Juice. It takes up more time than I really want to spend!

Working on projects is really what I want to do. I have several at various stages of production and I juggle my time to move them on. Because I am a member of the Folksy Daily Listing Club I am constantly being challenged to list an item on a daily basis. This is definitely a challenge because the majority of my items take more than a day to complete!

I am inspired by beauty, texture, vintage, upcycling and the need to create something very tactile that also has a practical purpose.

Venus Handbag with vintage lace


I studied art and design at Birmingham City University a few years after I retired, and I also took a year long course in Life Drawing at North Worcestershire college. I love the human figure. My artworks were heavily collaged, textured, mixed media works of the female figure. See my website:
www.artworks-by-edwina.co.uk

I had a couple of exhibitions, but my focus changed quite quickly when I taught myself to use a sewing machine and I became heavily addicted to textiles!

Diana bag with vintage fabric



I have the luxury of no family or work commitments, but disability and long-term illness often means that fatigue is my frequent enemy.

http://handmade-by-edwina.blogspot.com/
http://www.folksy.com/shops/HandmadebyEdwina

I particularly like this website.  There's lots to see...Lu

www.artworks-by-edwina.co.uk

To be featured in this blog

  Click here

Weather in Keswick

It's been stonking!
Add caption




2 comments:

Edwina Kinch said...

Thanks Lu for this feature - it looks and sounds ok - you have done an excellent job! I am looking forward to having you feature on my blog very soon!
Edwina from Handmade by Edwina

Polly said...

So interesting to learn more about the very talented Edwina. Her bags and notebooks never cease to amaze me. Each one is a work of art in itself.
Polly from PollyKrafts.