Handmade In Keswick at Craftfest

Friday, 17 August 2012

Printmaker Jim


We haven't had an interview on here for a bit, so here's Jamie Barnes, a local lad (well almost) who makes lovely architectural prints.


Over to you Jamie

My background is as a Curator. I have been working in art galleries and museums throughout Cumbria and North Lancs for the last 15 years and I studied Art History at University. I have always been around art and artists, and I have always been keen on drawing, but I only got serious about making my own artwork about 4 years ago.


I am principally a printmaker who makes work about buildings. I use three main printmaking techniques: drypoint engraving, aquatint etching and trace monotype.


I work from the front parlour of my house. If I can get at least a half day for making art, then I will bring out a reference photograph I have taken or work on an image from my imagination which I have been thinking about for a long time. Using this imagery I will make a printmaking plate and try to end the day by making a test print or short edition on my etching press.


My biggest inspiration is from looking at manmade structures and industrial-type buildings set in the rural landscape. At the moment I am commuting a lot between Kendal and Penrith in Cumbria and I am taking a lot of inspiration from the area on and around Shap summit. I think this interest may lead to a printmaking exhibition next year.




Working with artists as a Curator on a daily basis gives me the fantastic opportunity to ask them questions about how they work, and this inevitably feeds into my knowledge and understanding. Also, I am very inspired by the Fellside neighbourhood of Kendal where I live and how the houses are stacked up the hillside.


I am taking part in C-Art Cumbria Artists Open Studios 1-16 Sept this year and Green Door Art Trail 5-7 October. I am also about to launch a range of new greetings cards based on my fantastical illustrations of buildings.

Thanks Jamie

So if you live near enough, or if you're holidaying in or near Cumbria this September/October, why not come and take a look. (Click through the links within the text for more information).
Lu

Weather In Keswick

Wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry...WET


6 comments:

Karen said...

Wish I could! Love the one with the little red cottages! Thanks for sharing!

twistedpixelstudio said...

Have always been jealous of others who can draw so well! Nice work!

Danni said...

Gorgeous prints and a lovely interview. :)

Danni
xx

Dorene said...

Fabulous work!

jamie barnes said...

Thanks for your lovely comments and to Lu for the interview.
Jamie

Sandie said...

......morning Lu and Jamie - I love your work Jamie - especially the 'spare' quality of the last two pieces displayed here - we also have rain up here today on top of the high North Pennines -