Handmade In Keswick at Craftfest

Thursday, 17 January 2013

Stalking Success - Barry Bulsara



When I was looking for businesses to feature in this Stalking Success series,
Barry Bulsara was another one of those names who kept popping up in various places - maybe its because a lot of his work appeals to my 
inner geek.

Barry Bulsara

Well I'm 38, live in Loughborough a small university town in Leicestershire. I've always been creative, from an early age I was always painting, drawing or making some sort of space ship from empty washing up liquid bottles and such. But it wasn’t until my secondary school art teacher Mrs Sheffield gave me a sketchbook and pencil for doing well on my homework that I realised that I might actually have a future in art & design. I didn't realise until I went to university that I was dyslexic, so that probably explains why I spent so much of my time doing art as I wasn't very good at much else! I ended up taking the usual route, A'levels an art foundation course and then a degree in Graphic Design. Then sold my creative soul and got a job as a Graphic designer.

Discovering The Product

Last year I wanted to get back in to my art as I found my day job wasn't giving me creative satisfaction, so enrolled onto a weekend screen printing course at the Leicester Print Workshop and have been hooked ever since!  

 

I used to produce large canvas painting and have them on display in local bars in Leicestershire but after the recession they stopped selling so I needed to find another commercial creative outlet, screen printing is ideal as it allows me to be creative with my designs and as my prints are in edition of between 100 to 500 it means I can sell individual prints at affordable prices. 

Achieving Sales

Only a few months after I learnt to screen print. I had a number of designs and set up my Folksy shop and started to get regular orders, which only encouraged me to produce more.

Getting Known

I've been very fortunate that a small pub chain in my area called the Orange Tree display some of my work in their bars around Leicestershire and Nottingham, but I'm always looking for new places to exhibit. 

I also sell my work online through Folksy  and Etsy. I have also recently started selling my prints through Unicheinteriorfurnishings and I've just managed to find a gallery New British Artists in London that now represents me.

I also try and do as many craft fairs as time allow, and  I promote my work through my blog, Facebook page and 
twitter. 

 There are some one off boosts as well - I was just in Craftseller magazine...




Samira Ahmed's blog
but, also, the news reporter Samira Ahmed recently got in touch asking if she could use a picture of one of my prints to illustrate a story on her blog, that was cool! 

  Becoming Successful

I consider myself more fortunate than successful, fortunate that I have a talent and as I make my work soley to please and amuse myself. I consider it happy accident that there are people out there that are prepared to part with their hard earned cash to buy it.

So, what do you think of Barry's work?  Tell us which of Barry's pics is your fave - and feel free to include quotes from Star Wars in your comments!

(And if you like this blog post, maybe you'd also be kind enough to give it a Craftjuice vote here

9 comments:

Carolee Crafts said...

I always love to read about fellow creatives and really enjoyed the journey, thank you Lu and Barry

Spiral Fountain Jewellery said...

It is always lovely to hear of success stories, thanks for sharing

Joy @ BeadedBazaar said...

I've been loving this series of blogs Lu, as always you've done a fab job. Clearly The Force Is Strong In This One!

As I'm a "little" bit of a Star Wars fan I thought I'd share a few more quotes too!

"Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son" "These are not the droids you are looking for."
"Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
"Aren't you a little short for a StormTrooper."
"This is Red 5, I'm going in."
"The force is strong in this one."
"You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? Its the ship that did the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs."
"Use the force Luke"
"Help me Obi-Wan Kanobi, you're my only hope"
"May the force be with you"

Thank you for introducing all these wonderful stories and remember Use The Force Lu!

Joy
xx

lu said...

Good to know that you're not obsessed Joy...(I find knowing the script word for word helps with my enjoyment of 'BIG Bang Theory' too.

Ren A said...

What a great article. Love reading about artists as their journeys are so inspirational. Thank you.

lu said...

Thanks for reading and commenting

lu said...

Thanks for popping over Caroline

lu said...

Thank you

Rozizart said...

A great article Lu, interesting and human!